Sunday, July 31, 2011

Motivate Me Monday...I'm back with a confession

As a Mormon, we adhere to a health code called The Word of Wisdom.  Basically it means we don't drink alcohol, coffee, or tea and we eat meat sparingly - eating more grains, fruits, and vegetables. 

The purpose is to have a healthy body and to not be addicted to any substance.  Here's what I pulled from lds.org  "When people purposefully take anything harmful into their bodies, they are not living in harmony with the Word of Wisdom."

You're probably thinking that I have a deep dark secret...and I do.

I love Diet Coke. 

There, I said it.  I admit it.

No, the wording of The Word of Wisdom does not say, "Thou shalt not drink Diet Coke" buttttt....I'm sure I crossed the line into being "addicted to to a harmful substance."

Growing up we NEVER drank anything with caffeine in it - my parents felt that it wasn't good for us and I think they are right.  I've actually only drank it for a few years, but my body is VERY sensitive to caffeine and I could tell the minute it hit my bloodstream.  Crazy I know.  It just woke me up and seemed to give me so much more energy but with 0 calories - magical right?!  But in the back of my mind I always knew it was a bad idea...and so...

Last week I gave it up.  We had our goodbyes and every once in a while I wish I had one stashed at the back of the fridge but I don't...and I'm just fine.  Now, I do reserve the right to drink it on road trips...you know, to stay awake ;-) but aside from that I know I need to set a better example for my kids.  Imagine my shame when they would ask for a sip of my drink and I would have to say no...yes, I drank guilt each time that happened and it did not taste good my friend. To make it official I even told my kids that I wasn't drinking it anymore.

 Whew!  I feel so much better since I've gotten that off my chest.  So my challenge to you is to give up something that tastes like guilt every time your kids catch you eating/drinking it..it's a major sign that you're doing something wrong.  But, you probably didn't have a deep dark secret like me.

goodbye old friend. sniff, sniff


5 comments:

Jill said...

Haha! You're so cute Sarah ;) I agree though, Diet Coke is pretty good and totally gives me energy. I've noticed that the handful of times (okay, maybe a big handful) that I've had it, Samuel has had a horrible night after. :( It's definitely worth giving up. Good for you!

OneMooreFamily said...

Too funny! Congratulations on liberating yourself! I haven't done the caffeine thing but I sure can eat a lot of chocolate. I'll think about confessing. Thanks for putting on the pressure! haha I am proud of you!

lisa h. said...

good challenge. good for you also. I gave up caffeine when I was 14 and I never liked the taste of diet anything anyway. Hopefully it won't be too tough. I hear eating an apple actually wakes you up better than a coke/coffee. Diet drinks are pretty bad, especially for woman....breast cancer and not good for bones....

Ashley said...

You are so funny Sarah. You are such a good mom always teaching them to eat good and be great kids. You are such an amazing example to me. We can't wait to hang out again soon. Tatum and I had so much fun with you and your kids. Thanks for feeding us and having us over.

Miss you.

Donette said...

So do I have to give the Diet Coke up if I only drink caffeine free? I have not gone cold turkey but I do only have it fresh = so no cans or liters at home. That's good isn't it?