Friday, July 1, 2011

Fashion Friday...Flashback


A few weeks ago there was a lovely, sweet lady at church who wore a dress that made me smile inside...as soon as I saw her I had a flashback to my ten-year old self going to church and seeing my mom in a similar dress. She usually paired it with a large belt, earrings, necklace, and some beautiful pumps...my mom was always (and still is) very stylish. It made me feel proud to walk into church or any other place with her - she was a wonderful example to me of being proud of motherhood and who you are no matter your job or title.

She woke up every morning to the same routine: get dressed, put on makeup, brush teeth, make bed (if dad was out of it), read scriptures while making a big breakfast for her 10+ kids, wake up the kids in a sweet way (how did she do that with teenagers?!), get us all ready and out the door...and then on to laundry and the other household chores. She taught me so many lessons in that simple routine. I still haven't perfected it.



I loved that moment and the flood of memories and that made me think....from now on, when I see someone who chose to hold on to the fashions of a certain era, I'm going back in time for a moment too. So many great memories from the 80s and 90s!


I have a few favorite fashion bloggers that I love to follow. I love to see their creativity in putting outfits together. I've considered doing a Fashion Friday but I get nervous...there are a lot of people who criticize anyone involved in the fashion industry...I've had my share of criticism already and not sure that I'm ready for more....so we'll see how permanent Fashion Friday becomes.

For now..here's what I'm loving for the 4th:






Dress and sweater from Forever 21...actually own the dress and LOVE it. I usually wear it with a soft green cardi and white undershirt, but for the 4th I've got to add some red and I think a flower will be perfect.

PS - I'm doing a maxi-dress re-fashion that is almost done. I finished the sewing but need to dye it...so excited to see how it turns out.



Some beautiful inside and out fashion bloggers...

Kristina J. (also sews)

The Daybook (happens to be a cute *currently pregnant* Mormon so very modest styles)

StylePantry (love her bohemian looks!)


I'll post more next time.

Happy 4th of July!!!



Oh..head over to my sister's blog for an awesome give-away!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Such great memories! I love you're attitude (is that the right word?) about out-dated clothes/hair/etc. It is fun to look back and sometimes to be reminded. And I think the 4th outfit is super cute! I am loving flow-ey, comfortable dresses with light-weight sweaters (since most are spaghetti strapped. Excellent choice!

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

Kayla once told me your theory on you appearance. I really like it and love aunt melba's routine.