Friday, June 17, 2011
I {Heart} Swamp People.
What's that you say? You've never heard of Swamp People?! Well, you're missing out. Maybe it's just because I'm from Cajun country and I feel like I know all these people, maybe it's because of my Cajun ancestry and my love of all things Gumbo...but I LOVE this show. It cracks me up. By far Troy Landry is my favorite, his Cajun accent is so thick that he needs captioning...adorable I'd say. Enjoy this little clip and let me know if you want to head down to the bayou with me to visit my family.
You might be scratchin' your head thinking, "Isn't she from Texas?" Why don't you google map Vidor, Texas? It's the second-to-the-last town before you get to Louisiana. Darin always tells people I'm from where they filmed "Water Boy" with Adam Sandler. He also loves to tell the story of taking a boat to bring turkeys to people for Thanksgiving who lived on the river in houses built on stilts when we visited one year. I love to tell about our neighbors who found an alligator in their backyard pond and kept swimming in the pond anyway, the time some kids found a small alligator in the "ditch" in front of the church, the time we went crabbing as a family and my cousin caught a huge alligator on his line...we left immediately (that alligator was eyeing all of us kids.) No, we're no Troy Landry's in my family but the culture of sitting on the porch eating crawdads (crawfish) makes up some of my favorite memories.
PS...sorry my family has a Southern accent, not Cajun. I lost my accent when I had to take voice and diction classes for my Theater/Film major in college. My dad says I talk like a "Yankee" now. :-(
PPS...I must apologize to my Mother for revealing that we have Cajun heritage - it's on my Dad's side, not hers. ;-)
PPPS...(last one) I dedicate this to my brother-in-law Johnny who loves life on the lake and taking his kids to spot 'gators at night. He even took my kids one night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hahaha! We've seen this show before and loved it- thanks for reminding us. Now Johnny wants me to DVR it- haha! He said he doesn't want to miss it.
I love that I can understand everything he says!! We know a couple from "South Loosiana" that sound a lot like him- they're such characters! I want everyone to know that Loosiana has such a different culture- North Louisiana is NOT the same as South Loosiana. (The residents there are adament about that.)
Thanks for the laugh!
I'm laughing so hard! However, you need to clarify that our Cajun ancestry is just 1 tiny line and that we're mostly civilized. lol Cajuns sure know how to eat!
Haven't seen the show--just previews. Benny's family is from NORTHERN Louisiana and Jill's right--they don't want anyone to associate them with the Cajuns. haha
Wonder if we'll have any swamp folks in FL?!
I still need to watch this...maybe i'll google an episode, since we don't get tv or cable or anything. Ps Check out my blog post...shout out to the lunts! lol When ya gonna invite us back again?!?! ;)
TOO FUNNY! I love it! I've never even heard of the show but live close enough to know some real McCoy's and love them!
Btw . . . even swamp people need Thanksgiving dinner! haha If we didn't deliver them turkey they would have to eat 'gator . . . again.
Post a Comment