This political season - I guess you could call it - has definitely caused me to reflect on my faith in new ways. I've found an opportunity to grow closer to my Savior as I've felt the whirlwind of the world around me shouting - sometimes shouting hurtful words, other times shouting praise, and often times just shouting mis-information. Some days I have felt nothing but pure hatred coming from "men of faith", "scholars", and "every day Americans" in regards to my Mormon faith. Those moments can leave a person feeling very alone and misunderstood and turning to my faith is what gives me peace.
This is not a new experience for me, except for the part about it being on a global scale. I grew up in two small towns in Texas, my family moved to the second town when I was just 15. In this new town I'm quite certain no one had ever heard of a Mormon, much less met a family of 12 Mormons! I can only imagine the types of discussions that happened behind closed doors. Pulling up to the school in a big van and walking my little sisters over to the elementary campus before heading to High School caused quite a sight in the beginning, but the town quickly welcomed us in.
Sure we caused a scene where ever we went and our parent's rules for us were not the norm in the community but my peers never made me feel "less-than" them in anyway. Sure, I got some of the weird Mormon questions but nothing out-of-the-norm until one day a friend said, "Hey did you hear what happened at ___________ church last night? The youth minister told us that Mormons are going to hell and then _______________ stood up and said, "Mr. __________ if you think Mormons are going to hell and the only Mormons any of us know are the Sellers - then we're all going to hell because they are good people." And then he left."
I couldn't believe it. I hardly knew the young man who stood up for me and my family but I'll never forget him. He was a friend when I didn't even know I needed one. There were lots of whispers around the school that day as more people told me what happened. My mind was whirling - why would that man say such things? What purpose is there in pointing us out? I had never been to a church meeting where a leader told us specifically who was going to hell - what threat was I to this man and his faith?
I went to my English class and my jaw hit the floor - the youth minister was my substitute teacher. My heart pounded as he passed out our "busy work" for the day. I could feel all eyes on me as everyone realized that he and I were in the same room. Even at my young age I knew that I couldn't stand silent. I said a prayer in my heart and walked up to the man's desk. He looked more nervous than I did and started shuffling papers. I point blank asked him, "Why do you think my family and I are going to hell?" He reached in his bag and pulled out a Bible and turned to a verse stating that we are saved through our faith. I told him that I agreed with that. He said, "No, you don't. You think you are saved by your works." I replied that I was fully aware of what I believed in and that I do believe that it's important to follow Christ's teachings even though faith in Him is what saves us.
You can imagine the tension in the room, but add to that - at the exact moment on our classroom television was the standoff between David Koresh (spelling) and the police in Waco, Texas. We only lived 45 minutes south of there. The youth minister then asked me what was the difference between Joseph Smith and David Koresh. I could feel my face go red - here it was, here was the moment that I needed to know for myself. Did I believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet, would I stand by him or cower to my seat? I replied, "Joseph Smith never claimed to be Jesus Christ. He never killed his followers. We believe he was a prophet, the same way we believe Moses was a prophet."
I'm pretty sure the bell rang at that time and the discussion was over. I got a few glances from friends who supported me in standing up for my beliefs while others were all too anxious to get out of that classroom (don't blame them). But I left there a different girl. I had stood up for what I believed in and I knew it was true.
Since that time my testimony of the gospel has grown and grown but I wonder if I'm still as brave as my 16 year old self. To be honest, I cringe when I see headlines including "Mormon" and pause before I read the articles. I've stopped reading the comments at the end altogether. I know that being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has been the foundation of every good thing in my life. The friendships and family I have at church is blessing enough, but the comfort I get from reading both the Book of Mormon and Bible brings me peace during these trying times.
While I do hurt when I hear others criticizing my faith - I remember this story that one man stood and said those "damning" things to me as a young girl but there was an entire town of people from different faiths who were nothing but kind to me and that's just what I see when I look out my window.
I hope your faith is bringing you as much peace as mine has brought to me. I don't write this to try and change anyone else's beliefs but if you do have questions about the Mormon faith - please go to the source.
I'm not going to endorse or criticize any of the candidates - I can't fathom why someone would put themselves through this tortuous magnifying glass, but on some level I'm grateful that they are willing.
My real purpose in writing this post is to state clearly that I am Eternally grateful to my Savior, Jesus Christ, for his life and sacrifice for me. I will stand by Him through pointed fingers and name calling because I know He lives and I know that when I have asked Him which way to go in my life, the answer has always come.
I testify of this humbly and with love,
Sarah
13 comments:
wow that was really wonderful. that is an amazing story about you in high school and what an amazing friend you didn't know you needed.
Great post, thank you for sharing your experiences. I hope we can teach our kids to have as much courage. Hope Dayton is treating you well! Next time you're in Cbus, I'd love to tag along on a lunch with you, Amy, and Heather T.
wow. beautiful. hard life lessons at a young age but that's where your foundation in strength came from.
Sarah, that is such a hard thing to go through! But I'm not surprised one bit by your courage and ability to stand up for your beliefs! U are a great example to me :)
Outstanding post. I loved reading the story of your sixteen year old bravery!
My brother moved to TN with his wife and 4 kids, and when they moved in word had already spread about the "EVIL" Mormons moving in. My brother and his family are so great and I can honestly say that while my brother is not perfect, he is a pretty great example of "Christ-like". It's amazing what people think and then what they know once they really see how Mormons live/who they are. While it's not always a positive experience as we are all human, I think for the most part seeing faithful members of the church living what they know is the best medicine for the bigotry and prejudice against our faith. Great job Sellers and Sarah for your example! Thanks for sharing!
That is incredible thanks for sharing I wish I was as brave as you were and you were so young! You are so sweet amd your testimony just strengthened mine...thank you!
That is incredible thanks for sharing I wish I was as brave as you were and you were so young! You are so sweet amd your testimony just strengthened mine...thank you!
I miss you Sarah. Thank you for sharing your story. You are an incredible child of God.
I loved this Sarah! Lisa passed it on and I couldn't help but read it. You expressed yourself very well and I loved reading that story of you from high school. Thanks for sharing!
Very well said! Love your courage then and now!
AMAZING Sarah! Good for you!
I think you are pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment