Sunday, November 27, 2011

A bloggers gotta blog....

I was reading over some old posts and it was so fun reminisce. Reading old posts made me want to recommit to blogging...not for anyone else, just mostly for me to remember how great our life is. Right now I need an extra dose of that because honestly, life is not turning out like I thought it would. It's not bad but, depending on what perspective I choose it can be a little gloomy. A friend today reminded me of a great lesson, often when we feel discouraged or disappointed in life we just need to change our expectations. She said that when our expectations are too high we aren't as happy as when we have low or no expectations at all. I really needed to hear that. I think I've been expecting life to be easy...for my trials to be "done" because I really didn't think I needed anymore. Guess what? Trials are never done, this is life and we choose our journey - there is no "Destination Happyville" but there are happy trails if we decide to travel them. (I sound so profound! haha)

Wow, I really haven't been a big downer...these are just thoughts that I've wrestled with lately. During that mental battle here are some things we've done as a family...

Sunday Candle-lit Dinners Are Back - it's a fun family tradition but only possible during daylight savings hours.


Allie and Kate were in the Nutcracker (working on getting pics in their costumes). Allie was a Soldier and Spanish Dancer.  Kate was a party girl in the opening scene and a ginger (came out of Mother Ginger's dress).  They both did a great job!


While the girls were at a Nutcracker rehearsal Darin, Roman, and I (Scarlett with a sitter) participated in the Christmas in Springboro Parade.  It was a hoot!  Darin was hilarious as Buddy the Elf - I wish I had video of him yelling, "Santa!  Santa!  He's here, I know him!" etc.  The crowd went wild.  Darin and I also made 500 jingle bell necklaces to give out at the parade.  Whew...yes, that was the same day as the Nutcracker and it was C-R-A-Z-Y but fun!




Thanksgiving was a quiet day with Darin's sister Janell, her husband Chris and baby Aidan.




Allie and Kate had a piano recital recently too - I need to upload the video.  They're doing very well in piano and violin - it's a lot to keep up with though!

I'm hoping to get Christmas decorations up and the cards out this week!  We'd love to get your Christmas card so please email me if you don't have our new address.

8 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

I unpacked my blog books last night and it made me so happy to see those memories there. Speaking of my 2010 blog book is only half way done. I didn't realize darin started his own practice, nice float and sign :) we love buddy at our house! I don't think you were being negative at all. I think recording our thoughts and feelings are so important. I know your girls will benefit from a post like this when they're mothers and wives.

Noelle said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Your kids are getting so big! I was surprised to see an old friend in one of your pictures :) Believe it or not, Chris and I used to be in the same freshman ward at BYU--in fact, he was my FHE brother. small world! :)

Kayla Robinson said...

I am seriously laughing my head off about Darin as buddy the elf! Hahahahah Him dancing in the pictures are HILARIOUS! Too bad we missed it! lol But there's nothing to fret about, we'll be there in TWO WEEKS! Wahoo! Love you!

Ashley said...

Fun updates and I agree with you about blogging. I too want to be better so I can just remember all our moments in life and make sure I don't miss out on them one day. It is really like a journal. I also appreciate your thoughts about not getting too stuck on looking for the easy button all the time. I realize that life will ALWAYS have it's ups and downs and its what we make of our lives that matters most in between. Sure miss you guys and wish we could have seen you one last tie before we moved back to Utah. Hope all is well. LOVE YOU ALL !!!!

Anita said...

Glad to hear your not giving up on the ol' blogging. I cant agree with you more. I do it for me and my family and no one else. everyone else reading is just a extra perk. :) My kids love going through old post with me and remembering those good times (and bad). very cool about the Nutcracker. Ive been thinking about having Ava doing the local plays also. that is also so cool Darin dressed up. :) love your family photos, you kids are adorable and getting so big.

Donette said...

So fun - love the pics! Still can't believe that Darin dressed up - you must be bringing out his crazy side - the older he gets the more he reveals! or is it just money talks;) Gosh wish we could be together for the holidays! I guess I'll just have to hope you'll all be coming to Utah this summer! Luvs!

Anonymous said...

was buddie the elf on the float with you?:) lol

OneMooreFamily said...

Thanks for updating your blog! I know you're a busy girl and I love hearing about your adventures. I miss you all! We watched Elf this afternoon and it was funnier than ever because it was "new" to Thomas! Memory loss is not always funny but movies are the best! Seeing Darin as "Buddy" made it even better! Enjoy all the fun activities! I love and miss you!