So we're getting down to the wire and I thought I was settled on the name Bria but I'm still not sure. I cannot believe it but I actually got Darin to agree to Scarlet as the "backup name". Seriously!!! (The kids helped by telling Darin that he wasn't a "true Buckeye" if he didn't like the name. Ha!)
So my dilemma is that sometimes I worry that a name will somehow create a personality in a child...does that make sense? Meaning if you name your child "Bubba", he will live up to that name - not that there's anything wrong with that. ;-) Most people have only heard of the name Scarlet in relation to Scarlet O'Hara (whom I adore more than you can possibly comprehend) or some Hollywood actress, Scarlet Johanson???. Anywho - Scarlet O'Hara was a very strong woman with a super strong personality...will naming my baby Scarlet make her a tad too strong willed??? Will people just assume that she is overbearing because of her name? Has no one seen that movie nor read the book and so I'm creating an image that only I know about?! Bria, on-the-other-hand, sounds like a very sweet little girl. Right? My pregnant brain is probably crazy and I'm revealing too much of it, but I seriously need to know what other people think of the name Scarlet.
PS - If we name her Scarlet, I don't think I want to use Dallas as her middle name. I know! I'm thinking of a family name instead...yet to be decided.
PPS - You will not believe the sewing I've been doing. This week I hope to post pics of outfits that I "boutique-d" for the girls, the "hospital gown" I made (yes, I have a problem with hospital fashion), binky clips, headbands, and who knows what else!!! Making a baby makes me want to make more stuff I guess.
PPPS - If we name her Scarlet, we'll betroth her to Grey Buxton (Ruth's son) and then they'll be Scarlet and Grey...as in OSU's colors for you non-Buckeye fans. ;-) Allie says they'll have a son named Brutus. Haha Sorry, it's late and I need to stop now.
11 comments:
I think Scarlet O'hara is incredible, that book is fabulous. One question about the name though...what if lots of people shorten it and just call her Scar, are you ok with that?
Scarlet definitely reminds me of the O'Hara version, but I don't think that naming her that would be condemning her to a life of prejudice associated with one or two famous people. Ms. O'Hara is one of my favorite characters in literature. As for the shortened form, they could call her "Lettie"
Bria is also beautiful, but less fiery. It seems to match the tone of your other girl names. But Scarlet goes better with Roman.
LOVED the bit about Scarlet & Grey. T'would be perfect.
Fun post!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Bria is sweet and adorable and Scarlet does sound a bit more strong-willed but having 2 girls with VERY strong personalities, I vote for Scarlet! You'll win either way in my opinion. Both names are great.
Maybe you'll just know when you see her. It will just fit. I, too, associate Scarlet with Gone With the Wind, but not in a bad way. In an "independent woman" kind of way.
Good luck! Can't wait to see what you decide!
I think Bria fits your family better....It's a super presh name to fit with your super presh kids!! Hahah.
And yeah you went a little TOO far with the Brutus! hahahah! ;)
But regardless of what yo uname her..i will love her unconditionally!! :)
both names are beautiful, but you've been talking about naming your daughter scarlet since we were kids, so my vote is for SCARLET!!! love you!!
I go through the same thought every time I had a baby. No conclusion. Our family was discussing your names, too. No conclusion!! Sorry, am not helping here. But we always enjoy your blog. Erin bought herself a sewing machine and doing real cool stuff without ever learing how to. Can't wait to see your creations.
Sarah,
So excited for you and your family to add another little one. I am a bad commenter, but I couldn't help but throw my two cents in. I was absolutely in love with the name Scarlet when I was pregnant last. We got Oscar instead, which evened out things a little better for us in the boy/girl count. It is defintely a classic strong woman name - but I think that is exactly who YOU are, so why not? I agree that Bria matches your girls' names better, but that doesn't need to mean anything. Both are wonderful, but I vote for Scarlet hands down.
oooo, i love scarlet! honestly, i don't really know the o'hara lady (not much of a reader), so i don't see the "strong" personality you are thinking of. i love that it's not a common name that you hear all the time...and yes, it does go great with roman! that would be perfect if she marries gray :) good luck with everything!
I have a strange rule about voting for people's baby names . . . don't vote! haha Actually my rule only applies to voting uninvited so you're in luck. . .
We've been calling her "Bria" since we visited you and you trained us to call her that! hehe However, you've always loved "Scarlet." I've known a few Scarlet's and they have all survived nicely (one Scarlet's dad's name is Rhett! and her sister is Bonnie! HUGE fans, true story!)
In the end, I have to revert to rule #1 and let you make the final decision . . . I'm excited to hear the final results!! Love ya!
Allie's comment made me laugh out loud. Don't know which one!! Actually, my vote may be what we talked about the other day: Bria Scarlet. :-) Yeah, the pregnancy indecisiveness still hasn't left. Both are perfect names, so it's win-win!
Post a Comment