Sunday, September 20, 2009

Bell's Palsy

You may have heard that I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy this week. You may not have ever heard of it so here's a link to more info.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_Palsy

Basically the left-side of my face is paralyzed but only temporarily (hopefully). I could recover anywhere within 1 to 6 months....I'm planning on setting a new record for quickest recovery. In the meantime I'm taking some seriously hot, pouty-faced photos; wearing a precious bedazzled eye-patch; and making a bib that says, "Don't worry it's not contagious or permanent!" in rhinestones. Ohhhh and I'm collecting all fun straws, twisty, bend-y, etc. So. fun.

The worst part is that I can't taste on the left side..which apparently is where the chocolate taste-buds are. :( I seriously do have to use a straw to drink and it's hard to eat which is why I need a bib ;) ha.

The best part is that I feel blessed. Lots of people have called and emailed or facebooked which is thoughtful. I also feel very peaceful about things that were a big worry to me before, things that I felt like I wasn't accomplishing or needed to do better at. I haven't shed one tear about this, I know it's not life-threatening or permanent. The Lord works in mysterious ways and right now it's through a half-paralyzed face (which is like a free test run at Botox!).

22 comments:

cheeks said...

sarah! you are too cute! i love your positive attitude! we wish you a speedy recovery......until then i will smile thinking of your rhinestone bibs and twisty straws! we will pray for you to taste chocolate very soon too! love ya!

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

You are awesome! Way to have such a great outlook. Don't recover too fast ... gotta get your money's worth out of the eye patch and bib you bedazzled :)
all kidding aside you are in our prayers

Holly Wilcox said...

My sister in law had this last year. I can't remember how long it took to recover- but I think it was just a month.
You have a great attitude, but I'm sorry you have this challenge right now. You would know how to make this into a new style! I too will pray for a speedy recovery.

Heather said...

The chocolate tastebuds on that side is the worst part!

You'll be in our prayers.

Anita said...

You rock Sarah! If only everyone could be as uplifting as you, and funny. My bother in law got it a few years ago, pretty crazy stuff, but like you said at least its not permanent or contagious :)
youll have to post some sweet pic's of all your fun staws and bedazzled eye patch.

Margo said...

Sarah, You are amazing. Your postive attitude is felt by so many. We wish you the best and a quick recovery. Miss you guys.

Ken, Julia, Rue, & Atlas too! said...

LOVE YOU TONS SARAH!!

Donette said...

What! I had no idea. That is crazy! Hope it goes away fast. You are so upbeat! That's awesome! I think I would just crawl into a hole and not come out til it was gone. You are such a tough girl though and I'm sure it's hardly even fazing you. You'll still be in our prayers though! Love you!

Annie said...

I hope for a very quick recovery. You have a very good attitude about it all and I have no doubt you are as beautiful as ever.

Anonymous said...

I think the part about not being able to taste chocolate must be the worst. I mean, isn't chocolate what cures everything? I think you should eat some every hour and record when you can taste it again!!

Harmony said...

Sarah, It was great to see you a few weeks ago. Good Luck with your recovery. I love your positive attitude!

Melissa said...

Your positive attitude is incredible. I loved the part about it making you stop to realize about all the things you were worrying about weren't as important at the moment. Praying for a speedy recovery!

Kandice said...

Sarah you are AMAZING! You are in my prayers, hope you can ditch the bib and eye patch soon!

BTW there is super cute fabric on quilthome.com--you can drool in style! ;)

Katherine said...

You are so funny - what a great way to deal with this! Love you - thinking about you lots!

Barney Family said...

Sara you're an inspiration! Your heartfelt testimony helped strengthen mine. We all know your beautiful, bell's palsy and all.

Sara said...

Sarah, I love you! You have always been such a great example to all! Happy recovery to you:)

Kayla and Joshua said...

Hahah how funny!! lol. Me and my roomie were reading your post and she laughed and said aww she's cute!! lol

I for reals wanna see pictures of this!! lol

But i'm sorry it happened!! :( i'm glad your being a good sport about it!!

Perry's said...

OH Sarah, bless your heart. My dad had that for two months. I am glad you have such a great attitude. My dad took some great pics during his time can't wait to see some of yours :) We will be praying yours goes away quickly. So frustrating to not know what causes it or when it will leave. I wish you the best. Much Love!

Krystal Trapnell said...

Wow, Sarah! You are amazing! Hopefully you will make a speedy recovery. I'm sure you're still gorgeous.

Rachel said...

Your attitude amazes me Sarah. I just told Juston last night that reading this post makes me want to be more positive about things I can't control. Thank you for your example.

Oh, and you are a babe, bells palsy and all. I mean it. Only you could pull it off and make it look hot. :-)

The Teeples said...

Oh My Gosh Girl. This is why I need to check blogs more often. You poor thing and yet you are so positive. I am here for you. Please let me know if there is any thing I can do for you. I wish you were closer but hey we will work with it. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Love you girl.

Heather :)

Juli Chan said...

Wow Sarah, I really have not checked anyone's blog in soooo long. I am glad now that you are better. You are so amazing at facing your challenges with such a positive attitude. I am going to read up on this, just so that I don't ask you a bunch of dumb questions.