Sunday, November 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Roman!




Everyone says it, but it's true; I can't believe a year has past since my baby boy was born. Roman is complete sunshine in our home. He is SMILES, GIGGLES, and SLOBBERY KISSES. When he's tired he gets extra cuddly, we joke that he's a lover not a fighter. Usually an hour before bedtime he starts wrestling with Dad. If anyone lays on the floor, he'll rush over and rub his face on their belly...this is the sign that he seriously wants to take them out!
Before Roman was born everyone said, "I can't imagine you with a boy!" and I must admit that I couldn't picture myself with one either. All I heard was how dirty and rough they were. I often saw friend's boys rough-housing and breaking things that my girls would never think of touching. Now that Roman is here, I can't picture us without him...including girly 'ol me! It's true that boys are very different than girls. We didn't use quite so many gates with the girls, we also didn't have to relocate so many items from the living room to "places that cannot be reached", but we ADORE every minute of life with Roman. I love to just watch him as he plays, I can see wheels turning in his head as he tries to figure out how to get into something, how to take a toy apart, or how to get out of his "cage". Roman has been my easiest, yet busiest baby.

New Things You're Doing:
1. Saying Da-da, Ma-ma, 'Hyo' (Hello), Uh-oh, 'Ook' (Look), No-no and other sounds that are faintly familiar but not quite words.
2. Not new, but you LOVE to throw things down the stairs. If we can't find our socks, shoes, remote, book, we know where to look!
3. When we tell you 'No, no' you shake your finger at whatever you were trying to get into and say "No, no" as well.
4. Dancing King! You love music and always get your groove on when you hear a lively toon. Our favorite is when you stop your "squat dance" and start shaking your head to the music. Super cute!
5. Hugs and kisses, you give us lots and it makes us soooo happy!
6. When the phone rings you immediately put your hand up to your ear and say, 'Hyo'. It cracks us up.
7. You are a VERY picky eater...no veggies for you. If it's not sweet then you don't want it, but we are definitely working on that!
8. We LOVE your hair and so does everyone else! Whereever we go, someone is sure to stop and tell us that they love your curly blonde locks...Daddy jokes that you got them from him!


To celebrate Roman's big day we went swimming at the OSU pool. Roman loved the water even though his lips were turning blue. We had a little family party at home. I wasn't sure that he would know what to do with the presents but no one had to show him. He was mesmerized by the bright paper as soon as he saw it. When the gifts were within reach he pounced! In no time at all he had them unwrapped and couldn't wait to start playing. I was sucker and got him all "annoying musical toys" but I knew he would love them and so far he does.
Our "tradition" is to take a picture of Roman in Darin's white shirt each birthday, to see how he grows into it...and possibly out of it. So far, here is the difference:
3 months


1 Year



Oh...and Katherine, thanks for the b-day cake idea! I totally copied your genius idea and it was a big hit!

15 comments:

Ken, Julia, Rue, & Atlas too! said...

Roman is such a cutie. It's amazing to see how much he's changed in just a year. It's fun to see them grow and learn. This was such a good entry for his journal. You're a great mom :)

Schmid Family said...

Sarah I can't believe that Roman is one. It seems like yesterday I called to tell you I was prego and you told me that you were expecting too. He is sooo cute. I am one of the many who love his hair. Tell Darin he definetely passed on the gene. I wish we could have been there to help celebrate. You have the sweetest family. We miss and love you guys.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the white shirt idea! I saw something like it w/a military dress shirt... if we have a boy I am totally stealing the idea!!! Thanks! Oh and people are the same with Aimi Lark's curls... they MUST touch and FRIZZ them out! I always think REALLY? people... curls are good but frizz is not but thanks for admiring I guess. LOVE Y'all!

Kayla and Joshua said...

that picture of roman in darin's shirt is THE FUNNIEST thing ever! i'm at school and i'm lol'n haha jk.

but seriously i remember when he was just a little baby boy! aww he's presh!

Shannon Sundberg said...

I have been a total blog slacker but decided today I would read the Lunts. Wow! I can't believe Roman in one year old. Oh how I have missed seeing that cute little man grow up. Happy Birthday to Roman. I am so glad you got to spend some time with Laurie. Your fancy date with Darin looks so fun. What a good sport. I really missed the cinnamon roll baking and trick or treating. Your family is so cute (those pictures are awesome!)and we miss you sooooo much. I am glad things are going so well. Love Shannon

Katherine said...

Happy Birthday Roman!!! I can't believe he is one already! He is such a cutie, I just want to give him a big squeeze! I am glad that Dylan isn't the only one that LOVES throwing things down the stairs. That is one of his favorite things to do! He looks adorable in Darin's shirt. We miss you guys!

Brandon and Cari (Sellers) Murdock said...

A WHOLE year old?!? Crazy! Well, Happy Birthday Roman! We sure love you and can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving.

Sarah, the pictures are adorable! What a cute idea with Darin's shirt! I would copy that, but I don't think our kids would EVER fit into one of Brandon's shirts.

Love y'all!!!

Donette said...

Wow - you're baby is growing up! It's amazing how big he's gotten from just starting out a such a little guy. You guys always have such fun pictures! I wish I knew a good cheap photographer - guess that just means I need to learn a new skill! Give Ropen hugs! Glad he had a fun birthday!

Melissa said...

I love the white shirt idea too! We're going to borrow it from you. I also LOVE Roman's curls! They are so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Cute little man! Love the curls. My youngest little guy, William is our smily guys and cuddler. I love the picture of him in the white shirt and tie, very creative!

Sarah Walton said...

Ok, that year went by way too fast! And like everyone else, I too LOVE the white shirt pictures! what a cute idea.

Marianne said...

Wow, he's so handsome and grown up! I love that he's such a happy boy. I wish he and Ethan could hang out together, it sounds like they're a lot alike! Happy birthday Roman! We miss you!

Rachel said...

It seems like you just had him! His hair is too cute, and that face...he is going to be a heartbreaker.

Anita said...

Wow, Sarah. I think I am in shock that he is one also. Time flies way toooo fast. He is so cute and handsome.
PS Your look so BEAUTIFUL in your dress for the ball. I have always wanted to host one or even just go to one. How fun.
Love the family pictures too. Your girls are getting so big too.

Laurie said...

Happy Birthday little guy!

I love the white shirt idea. You did a great job with those shots of him up top.

He really is the cutest, most edible thing I've ever wanted on my dinner plate.