With so many people making their blogs private, I have to ask why? I have my security settings set high, meaning my site is not linked to any search engines. The only way to find it is through someone else's blog. I'm okay with that because I'm listed on some friend's blogs and have been able to reconnect with sooo many past friends this way. I think that if I go private the whole purpose of the blog is lost. So, I added the map feature on my site to see if people all over the world are viewing it but so far it's only people living in the US and they are all in locations where I have friends/family. I don't want to be naive but I think it's fairly safe. What are your thoughts? If you are going private what's the reason, have you had something scary happen?
Thanks for your help with this dilemma.
7 comments:
i actually feel the exact way you do. some people i know have had comments that say something like "click here" but just delete those b/c of course they are no good but i agree about how nice the world of "blog hopping" is :)
also i have a blog for my parents and they are actually able to get to it...if i went private who knows if they could figure out how to sign in haha
I have heard people being scared of posting their blogs and go private instead. But I am like you, I haven't had any bad experience and I have been able to find friends I haven't talked to in years. I guess if it gets to a point where there are crazy people bugging you then I would.
I actually had a virus linked to my blog as a comment a couple of weeks ago and the same guy tried to post it again last week. Luckily I was able to remove it both times before anything happened (I think). So, it's probably a good idea to screen your comments.
Sarah, ironically I have found your blog through a link on someone else's blog, and am glad that I have. It is fun to reconnect with friends (your family is darling, by the way). However, my blog is private because my intention in setting it up was just to journal a bit more and let family and friends see what we are up to. Not friends of friends of friends. I post really detailed stuff that I don't want strangers reading. I am not concerned about creppy things happening, I just don't think my life is the business of a stranger. Since it is private I know exactly who could be reading my posts. That being said, I am sending you an invite right away.
I can't bring myself to make mine private either...I love finding people and having people find me. I have to admit, I hate the extra work (small as it is) to sign into a private blog...but to each his own!
Hey Sarah! It's Jenn Whitesides and I am so glad your settings are not private b/c I was able to find you and several of our other Ohio friends! I can't believe how big your girls are and your little guy is so dang cute. I just started a blog and I love reconnecting to past friends. Hopefully we can keep in touch now...I'd love to find out where you guys end up!Tell Darin hi and hopefully the ortho program is treating him well!
Hey Sarah! I actually had a random scary comment from some crazy person. That's why I went private and Lisa Hymas posted an article about all the reasons why you should go private. I'll have to ask her about it. I sent you an invite right??
Post a Comment